Using HHMI BioInteractive's Data Explorer to Examine Impacts of Poaching on Elephant Populations
To accommodate educators' schedules, this workshop will be offered twice. Workshop content will be the same at both sessions.
- Session 1: Monday, June 14, 4:00–6:00 PM EDT
- Session 2: Monday, June 21, 5:00–7:00 PM EDT
Incorporating exploration into the classroom using data from authentic research allows students to think and act like scientists. These activities promote student quantitative skill development through learning experiences contextualized by current scientific research. Participants in this workshop will explore HHMI BioInteractive’s new Data Explorer tool, investigate the impact of poaching on the prevalence of tusks within elephant populations using authentic research data, and engage in discussions about teaching with data in the classroom. Participants will leave the session with an understanding of best practices in teaching with data and their own plan for using and/or adapting the featured activity or developing other activities to use in Data Explorer.
Rosie Bolen and Kaitlin Bonner
This workshop is designed for AP/IB high school instructors and undergraduate instructors interested in using data in the classroom. The sample activity is focused on ecology and evolution, but the Data Explorer tool can be used to analyze data from any discipline.
- The workshop will be hosted via Zoom meeting. No work is required prior to the workshop, though participants will be asked to check that the Data Explorer tool works on their devices in advance of the workshop.
- Our workshops actively engage participants and often feature small group work in breakout rooms to build community, foster discussion, and model classroom practice.
- Workshop attendees will receive a certificate of participation and access to the free BioInteractive resources modeled in the workshop.
Live transcript will be available in the main Zoom meeting room. If you require live transcription in the breakout rooms, or any other accommodations in order to fully participate in the workshop, please indicate this on the registration form.
Please email [email protected] with any questions.
Other Upcoming Workshops
Join us for this two-part workshop series for teachers of all levels of high school biology!
Join us for a workshop for undergraduate educators!