Exploring the Biology of Skin Color — and Discussions about Race — Using BioInteractive Resources
To accommodate educators' schedules, this workshop will be offered twice. Workshop content will be the same at both sessions.
- Session 1: Tuesday, September 28, 7:00–8:30 PM EASTERN - SESSION FULL: Due to an enthusiastic response from educators, we are at maximum capacity for this session.
- Session 2: Thursday, September 30, 7:00–8:30 PM EASTERN
Note that the workshop time is in US Eastern time zone. Please verify the corresponding time in your local area.
Students often have the misconception that race has a biological basis. As biology educators, we have the opportunity to address race in the classroom. However, it can feel intimidating to engage students in the issues around race without supporting resources. During this workshop, participants will engage in an interactive, data-driven discussion of the biology of skin color by exploring free HHMI BioInteractive resources including a short film, a phenomenal image, and a variety of hands-on, student-driven activities.
This workshop is for high school educators who teach any level of biology and undergraduate educators who teach at 2-year institutions. Strategies for classroom and synchronous online instruction will be modeled and discussed.
- The workshop will be hosted via Zoom meeting.
- There will be 30 minutes of asynchronous work before the session.
- Our workshops actively engage participants and often feature small group work in breakout rooms to build community, foster discussion, and model classroom practice.
- Workshop attendees will receive a certificate of participation and access to the free BioInteractive resources modeled in the workshop.
Live transcript will be available in the main Zoom meeting room. If you require live transcription in the breakout rooms, or any other accommodations in order to fully participate in the workshop, please indicate this on the registration form.
Please email [email protected] with any questions.
Other Upcoming Workshops
Join us for a workshop for high school biology and environmental science educators!
Join us for a workshop for high school and undergraduate educators!