This asynchronous course is designed to deepen educators' content knowledge in evolution, especially regarding content appropriate for teaching at the high school level. The course consists of three units as follows:
- Unit One focuses on the mechanisms of evolution. It includes how to build an explanation based on evidence for natural selection.
- Unit Two focuses on sources of evidence supporting evolutionary theory, including fossils, anatomy, biochemistry, genetics, and cell biology.
- Unit Three focuses on patterns of evolution, including phylogenies and macroevolution.
There are two versions of the course available. They are identical in content.
The “Evolution Certificate Course” requires learners to complete the course in a linear sequence and there are criteria throughout to advance to the next lesson. At the successful completion of this version, two certificates are available to document your completion:
- You will receive the 10-hour certificate after completing Unit One.
- You will receive the 5-hour certificate after completing both Units Two and Three.
The “Evolution Non-Certificate Course” enables users to freely navigate to content you want to explore and skip lessons with which you are already comfortable or don’t teach.
If you have any technical issues using the course, please contact us and include "Professional Learning Course: Evolution" in the subject line.