This interactive tool introduces students to building scientific models. Educators can use the tool to create assignments and, in some cases, automatically grade student models. Students can also use the tool to check their work against provided reference models.
Developing and using models is a key science practice highlighted in the NGSS framework and has many advantages for students. Model Builder is designed to be useful to beginners in modeling and can be an on-ramp to more sophisticated modeling platforms.
This tool is accompanied by the following materials:
- The “User Guide” provides detailed instructions on how to use the tool and create different types of models.
- The “Pedagogy Guide” provides a broader context about the use of models in the classroom and includes examples from Model Builder.
- The “Catalog of BioInteractive Models for Educators” describes the models provided by BioInteractive, many of which relate to other BioInteractive resources. The catalog also links to model files that you can modify for your own use.
Student Learning Targets
- Create models that illustrate cause-and-effect relationships to explain natural phenomena.
- Use models to explain systems and how those systems might behave in response to stimuli or disturbances.
connection, component, conceptual model, diagram, network, object, stock and flow model, system
The resource is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license. No rights are granted to use HHMI’s or BioInteractive’s names or logos independent from this Resource or in any derivative works.
Accessibility Level (WCAG compliance)
AP Biology 2019
AP Environmental Science 2020
Vision and Change 2009